[Ulfars] 1-1: Breakdown - Scar Wheel

For Salem-based play. Contact EvilSqueegee for information.

[Ulfars] 1-1: Breakdown - Scar Wheel

Postby EvilSqueegee » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:43 am

Silas Ulfar

Enemy of mine
I'm just a stranger in a strange land
Running out of time
Better go, go, go

Rank 1 | Irakka | Hunters in Darkness | Flaw: Curious | Wolfborn
~* * *~
The ride from Boston to Salem was, unfortunately, a very long one. Boring, sterile roads stretched on forever and ever, and the day burned on eternally as the truck crept down the road at a snail’s pace. Centuries might have passed, and Silas wouldn’t have been able to tell. It might have been a week or even months since they left the Den, trapped in this claustrophobic antique pickup. As he pressed his hand against the glass, looking out desperately at the other cars passing them, he finally gave in to the one thing he knew would extend his agony and delay their arrival at their stupid new home: He looked at the clock.

“Five minutes,” Idirbheart told him as he counted on his fingers. “Same as last time.”

His brow furrowed and he went back to staring out the window. Longest five minutes ever…

“You poor thing," The totem ran her hands through her Irrakka’s hair, pouting in sympathy.

Idirbheart rested her chin on her elbow, leaning her arm against the dividers between the seats and idly playing with the Salome’s hair. She sat in the back seat, Silas rode shotgun, and that left Salome to drive. After having had the seat belt argument, then the radio discussion, a round of Twenty Questions and two games of Eye Spy -- both of which ended in Silas having spotted a car -- the Uratha had fallen silent, dejected and resigned to the tragic fate of having to sit still for a little over half an hour. They’d been driving for fifteen minutes. This, Silas had expressed more than once since they’d left, must be Hell.

It wasn’t even raining! People kept telling him that was a good thing, since all their stuff was packed in the bed of the truck in big cardboard boxes, but every time he looked up at the clear, sunny sky and warm, dry sun he made the same face he made when faced with being forced to eat vegetables.

Idi, for her part, had done her best to keep the werewolf’s short attention span from causing his sister too much hell. She’d taken these two for herself despite all protesting from their parents, and while it was true that they were to tend to her needs whenever possible, not even the mighty totem spirits were completely free of slavehood to necessity: few things on earth were more likely to cause a vehicular accident than restless little brothers.

“Six minutes,” Idirbheart explained for Silas as he looked back at the clock, again. He huffed and figited in his seat, letting his head rest against the inside of the truck’s window with a thud.

The moment that his head hit the door, the engine made an awful sound, the frame of the truck shook, and smoke started to billow up from under the hood. That startled Silas, who immediately snapped up to a sitting position and looked frantically up and down the length of the dashboard - as if it was going to tell him what was wrong.

He leaned forward after a moment and sniffed the glovebox, then gave the dashboard a good solid THUMP with his fist, the way he’d seen Salome hit the TV when he was younger. After a moment of expectant waiting, he finally decided he’d done his part and turned his head to look at his sister.

“It broke,” he accused the truck, finally glad to have a reason to speak without being shushed by either of the other two girls. If the truck broke down, they’d be trapped on this highway for all of eternity!

He pointed. Just in case she wasn’t certain what he meant or who to blame.
EvilSqueegee

Re: [Ulfars]: Breakdown, scene 1

Postby VaMPKiSS1 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:32 am

Salome Ulfar

Tell me that story again
The one that has no ending
And that will be the story of you and me

Witch | Honorary Rank 1 | Hunters in the Darkness | Wolfblood 4
~* * *~

I get to drive to our new house!
We are totally getting our own HOUSE!
I get to drive!

I probably should have paid more attention to the specifics of everything. Blah blah blah, Bathsheba-portents-important-destiny blah blah blah. I got a truck! We're getting a house! Silas and Idi and me and no rules and no chores and no school and no boring lessons or practicing or being told no or eat your vegetables or go to bed or wake up or you guys are making too much noise up there, do not howl in the house!

Nothing could break my good, bouncy mood all morning. Even Silas' pouting when he realized that all the excitement of the day hinged around a car ride. Correction: a truck ride, in my truck, with my shiny, brand-new driver's license!

Except, of course, for the failure of said truck in the middle of said ride. Silas gives the dashboard a good whack, while I'm just busy staring at the smoke that's rising up from the hood, chewing my lip in concern.

"Uh. Crap?" I seem confused, because I am. Nothing was supposed to be able to break through the glow of getting to go out on a very important mission all on our own. "Should I turn it off?" I don't know who I'm asking. Idi doesn't drive, and the number of times Silas has been in a moving vehicle is low enough that he doesn't need fingers to count that far. "I'm turning it off."

I make that decision, turn the key to the off position, and wait for the smoke to stop. It doesn't stop. I chew my lip again, and then turn to Silas and then to Idi.

"Crap?" It sounds like I'm asking for help, but I never use that word. "I didn't do anything different than before, I swear!"

What are we supposed to do to fix this? We can't call the family for help already! We've only been gone fifteen minutes!

"Should I go look under the hood?" Not that I'd know what to look for, but that's what people do when cars break. Right?
VaMPKiSS1

Postby EvilSqueegee » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:06 am

Silas Ulfar

Enemy of mine
I'm just a stranger in a strange land
Running out of time
Better go, go, go

~* * *~

Hood? Silas made a face and looked between Saolme and Idi, thinking. He knew he should have spent more time listening to Elija talk about trucks before climbing into one.

Silas climbed out the window of his sister’s truck and landed on the side of the highway. The change in his pocket rattled as he hit the ground and then turned around, leaning into the truck from the window. Suddenly, he was much more comfortable. Why didn’t they just build a little riding platform on the side for him?

“I don’t think there’s much of a hood out here.” He looked up and down the road, which stretched away from him as if running away with his hopes and dreams in either direction. It was all he could do not to take off after them, but right now his sister needed his help. Especially if she was headed under the hood -- for months he’d been sitting in front of the TV watching people. The hood was not a good place to be. It was like the only thing the TV agreed with itself on.

Idi tried to stifle her laugh, and failed, instead giving something of a snort. Silas, recognizing he’d probably said something incorrectly, made a defeated face and slumped his chin on his arm.

“Elija likes trucks. What would he do?” Salome would know. She’d known him a lot longer than he had.

Idirbheart Sealgare

This is what I thought,
I thought you need me,
This is what I thought so think me naïve,
I promise you a heart you'd promise to keep,
Kiss my eyes and lay me to sleep.

Rank 2 | Totem | Water Elemental | Manifested
~* * *~

With the young one having climbed out of the now inert truck to stretch his energetic legs, Idirbheart focused her attentions on her witch. She slid up behind the driver’s seat, arms slinking around from behind to slide across Salome’s waist. She gently closed her eyes, relishing in the sensation that always accompanied brushing against the magic that burned in the mortal’s aura.

“You will be fine,” she purred, her chin resting on the headrest of the seat just behind Salome’s ear. “I imagine there are plenty of those in the world with the power to fix what is broken, should you ask nicely enough. Hm?”

“Hey! Good idea!” Silas said, darting around to the front of the truck and prying open the hood. Holding it open above his head with both muscular arms, he looked down at the engine with a glare.

“Work, asshole!” he commanded it. As if in response, something in the engine block popped back at him. Startled, he jerked back and dropped the hood with a clang. With wide eyes, he looked through the windshield at his sister.

“Nope. Sorry,” he said with a sheepish smile.

idirbheart laughed, squeezing her witch in a hug before scooting across the cabin and helping herself out through the door. There was a reason she had selected so few for the Bond, it was unwise to promise patronage to more youth than one could handle. Her presence exuded a thirsty, yet quiet, resonance for a moment and she addressed Silas.

“Perhaps you ought not argue with the truck while it is in pain,” she offered as a suggestion - though something about the way she said it sounded more enticing than instructing. Silas fell very, very still for a moment, eyes looking this way and that.

“Think the new place will have a shower?” He asked, quickly changing the subject. Idi smiled, it filled her with a long-lost purpose to know her children so well.
EvilSqueegee

Postby VaMPKiSS1 » Sat May 03, 2014 7:00 pm

Salome Ulfar

Tell me that story again
And that will be the story of you and me[/b]

~* * *~

Normally I would have laughed at Silas' misunderstanding of [i]hood, but I was too busy not knowing shit all about fixing cars to crack a smile---although I did snicker when my brother decided to yell at the engine and the engine answered back. Well, strike that off the list of tactics I was about to try. I get out of the truck myself and walk around the front of it to join the other two on the side of the road. Idi's words, though, come across as more than just an attempt to calm my brother. I tilt my head thoughtfully and chew my lip as I make a slow circle around the truck itself. Then I glance out at the highway in either direction, much the way Silas had, but I don't seem forlorn. In fact, there is the beginning of an idea sparkling behind my eyes as I gaze upon that road stretching as far as can be seen.

I smile.

"Elijah would fix it," I finally answer Silas, and smirk at him as if my words had a deeper meaning I wasn't sharing with him just yet. I walk back over to the truck with purpose, but I don't head for the hood. I head for the bed of the truck where our things are stacked in boxes and I clamber up to join them.

"I need qui-et!" I sing-song cheerfully, the way I would at home when I would swoosh past Silas and make a beeline for my room. He knows what this means. And he knows that sometimes it means he'll have to help guard me against any unintended consequences. But that's hopefully not what will happen this time. This is too public of a place for that. But Idi is here; that counts for something, doesn't it?

I close my eyes and listen. Cars and trucks speed by, creating an artificial breeze, their wheels making a low hum against the asphalt. I spend time with that breeze as it plays through my hair like fingers. I let a breath out in time and tone with the cresting wave of that low hum. I feel the bed of the truck beneath me and the beating of the sun from above. I finally open my eyes, not really conscious of how much time has passed, and begin the working. I walk counterclockwise around the truck, letting my hand drag along the body, my fingers drawing trails in the dust that clings to the paint. I walk another circle around the truck, this time using the dust gathered on my fingers to draw glyphs as I go, ones for travel and speed and vehicle.

As I do, my footsteps fall to the rhythm of the passing cars on the highway and I start to sing softly to myself. "On the road again, just can't wait to get on the road again..." I hope this works quickly. Or that the spirit will accept the song as what it is, and not be offended by my repeating the same lines over and over again, since I don't really know more of the words.

What? It's a really old song.
VaMPKiSS1

Postby EvilSqueegee » Wed May 07, 2014 9:07 pm

Silas Ulfar

Enemy of Mine
I’m just a stranger in a strange land
Running out of time
Better go, go, go

~***~

“Duh,” Silas answered his sister in an obvious attempt to cover his tracks. “I knew that.” He hadn’t.

When she sang out that she needed quiet, Silas frowned and shifted to Urhan, jumping up onto the roof of the truck and lying down. The protecting-the-witch part, he was great at. The quiet part? Not so much. Hell of an irony, considering his Auspice. He would just have to be patient, though. Boring as it was, his sister needed him attentive and alert. She would… she would need…

Silas was snapped out of his surprise nap by the sound of his sister’s voice singing. He stirred with a start, his voice yowling half-quietly in tune with her song. He’d never heard it before, and he didn’t mean to sing along, so the end result was a little less than spectacular. He didn’t stop himself when he realized what he was doing, though. Silas owned that shit and kept up his awful harmony. It didn’t even match the rhythm. Just a dog singing along with his human.

Idi laughed.

~***~

The semi angrily sped down the road, daring anyone to get in his way. Wheels stained with the blood of the damned tore the pavement to shreds with their fury, rocketing him ever forward. He had deadlines to meet and it was all Boss’s fault. He had to be there on time. No chance to sleep, no chance to eat. Starve or go mad, he was the best in the biz and Boss didn’t tolerate anything less.

Boss would pay. Boss would burn. Boss would scream.

He careened around a bend in the road in Twilight, almost at his destination when he heard the siren call of sweet, sweet Essence. Pacts older than time itself beckoned his name: Scarwheel. He answered that call, hungrily. He was always just short of his time anyways. Boss could wait while he grabbed a bite, right? Couldn’t make a delivery if he was dead.

The stretch of highway that Salome found herself on hadn’t seen much traffic, so it was easy to hear the rumbling of the approaching truck.

Though the ritual she’d given didn’t demand a specific spirit, it did give a general call to spirits of a particular realm of influence. They were free to answer or ignore as they willed, and as luck would have it, something had. The massive vehicle was a little bigger than most trucks should be. It’s cabin was stained with dried blood, it’s windshield shattered with weblike cracks splaying out from right in front of the driver’s seat. An empty, broken corpse sat behind the wheel, limp and dead, unmoving. The radiator on the front of the vehicle formed a great, four-foot maw of sharp teeth out of broken and curled metal as if it’d collided at some point with something bigger than it was.

The trailer behind the truck was dented, a disgusting dark brown color with grass-stains and paint-scrapes. The massive logo on the side was a rat’s skull, spraypainted graffiti scrawled across it’s surface in words of hatred and violence in the First Tongue.

The spirit rolled to a stop just ahead of the three travelers, it’s engine roaring in announcement. It turned it’s headlights on, shining them at the Witch who’d dared summon it.

“I am Scar-Wheel, Witch,” it growled. It did not demand a reason for it’s summon - at least, not verbally. Very few spirits ever cared much for those of the flesh. Though it had answered willingly, it would be unwise to mistreat the being’s time.
EvilSqueegee

Postby VaMPKiSS1 » Sat May 10, 2014 3:49 pm

Salome Ulfar

Tell me that story again
And that will be the story of you and me

~* * *~

I feel the spirit coming before I see it; there's a sudden moment as I'm singing that I know for sure it will come. I feel the ground rumble as it rounds the distant corner and I smile in delight as it approaches. I don't take time to wonder what it says about me that I delight in the approach of such a massive spirit, one so strong in determination and clearly dangerous, sporting every kind of ominous sign that is the stuff of human nightmares.

But I am not human. And neither is Silas. And neither is Idi.

I hold my head up in proud satisfaction that the spell I'd worked actually had worked --- although of course it did! I am more than a mere witch. I am Salome Ulfar. I call to spirits and they answer. I offer them chiminage and they do as I bid.

"Scar-Wheel," I say, giving the name reverence as I test it on my tongue. It feels rough and fearsome, and the way I give that tone to it should further please the spirit that came when I called. Or so I think it should. But that makes it so, doesn't it?

"I ask a favor of you, and will give one in return. I need to reach my destination but your brother here is too weak," I say, gesturing at the truck. "You, though, are strong. So am I, and so is my brother. If you help us, we could help you. An even trade."

I've never summoned a spirit so dire-seeming before. My eyes sweep over every detail. There is blood caked around those wheels. Whose blood, I wonder? But I don't feel fear. Not here, with my brother at my side and my totem nearby. Together, we are strong.

Or we are in trouble. I wait for the spirit to answer.
VaMPKiSS1

Postby EvilSqueegee » Fri May 16, 2014 9:01 pm

Scar-wheel sat, his engine rumbling, and he voiced no words as he thought. Then, suddenly, his front highbeams flicked on and soaked the trio and their truck in a scalding, searing light.

“KILL THEM,” he roared after several moments of furious thought. His engine screamed and roared, his wheels screeched against the pavement in his rage. The corpse behind the wheel slumped as the cabin shook, falling onto it’s side as if not propped up by anything. The tarmac flew into the air behind himself, gargantuan chain-laiden tires ripping and tearing and throwing bits of the road into a spray, leaving giant ruts in the road.

“Packrat’s Brood defiles my route with their persistence. Give me this road to be mine and mine alone -- bring the largest of their pack to it’s knees. I can give you the life of a truck, but you must take several in turn… their nest, it lies east of the Hanging Judges. Promise me the destruction of my old brethren, and I shall send you where you need to go.”

Idi tilted her head, watching the exchange. When Scar-Wheel roared and screamed, she narrowed her eyes but didn’t immediately respond. Silas was on his feet, on the hood of the car, growling; neither of the two took well to the idea of a mere gaffling beating it’s chest and barking orders. But neither was going to interfere directly, either.

Scar-wheel’s voice is filled with pride when he speaks again.

“Scar-Wheel never misses a drop. Never late. Never eats… never sleeps…”

This was apparently supposed to be convincing. It sounded more like a curse he was afflicted by than a hard-earned pattern of success, though, the way he said it.
EvilSqueegee

Return to Salem