[Wild Talents] 0-0: Guest in the House

For Salem-based play. Contact EvilSqueegee for information.

[Wild Talents] 0-0: Guest in the House

Postby Mrmdubois » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:53 pm

The day had been treating me like a bad mariachi band, all trumpet and no love.

I was sitting in my office reading a file marked L. Looking it over I decided that it required an additional letter, M, for migraine.

Throwing it down I opened the bottom drawer of my desk contemplating the dubious virtues of a tumbler of Carrow's Cellar. I didn't get that far though before I was arrested by a shapely silhouette falling across the desk. Looking up, I could see the shadow wasn't lying.

My eyes tracked upwards taking in the long legs that seemed to keep going all the way up to her neck. They didn't quite get that far though, since there was an attractive body in the way. Her face was perfect, like it should have been lit up with a halo so you could always get a good long look, instead it was framed by gently curling hair the color of dark chocolate. She dressed like she had money and taste, and knew what to do with them, a dress with a white rose floral print and a white business jacket. I won't lie, my heart rate picked up the pace.

Real smooth like I leaned forward, elbows on the desk and motioned to a chair behind her, “Hello, have a seat, Ms...?”

“You can call me Gail.” She smiled and sat down. I very carefully paid attention when she crossed her legs, she might have been concealing a weapon. She removed the sunglasses she wore, revealing a pair of sparkling, bottle-glass green eyes.

Good enough, I smiled in return and launched into full on consultation mode, “So, what can I help you with Gail?” I tried not to sound too eager, but the bills keep piling up you know, in their white envelopes, like the snow piling up before an avalanche. If she came with a case that paid maybe I could shovel some of them out of my office.

She paused before answering, as if she seemed hesitant, maybe embarrassed. Hard to tell if she felt it for her or for me, “Your ads says your psychic, is that true?”

“Yeah. Wouldn't be much point in putting it on the door otherwise.” People always felt the need to ask though.

She blushed when she heard the acerbic tone in my voice. “Well, uh, do you deal with ghosts?”

I nodded, “Sometimes. What kind of a ghost problem do you have?”

Before she answered there was a flush of emotion on her face, and her voice hitched slightly, “My sister, Jessica, she died not long ago. Ever since, around midnight I feel like she's there. I don't know what to do or how to help her.”

“How did she die?” The importance of knowing these things can't be overrated, ghosts really only hang around for one reason that I know. Death leaves a mark on the world, with the people it leaves behind and the people it happens too. The worse the death, well, the bigger the mark.

She took a moment, composing herself, before she replied, “She had a congenital heart defect. I'm told she went painlessly in her sleep.”

That really didn't jive, but then there a lot of strange things that happen in this world. Not much I could do about it until I'd met this ghost and knew more. Leaning back I told her, “Alright, you said she's most active at midnight. Would it be alright if I came by around then?”

“Yes, that's fine. I expected you might want to.” Digging in her clutch she pulled out a card and laid it on the desk sliding it toward me. “My address and number.” She looked up at me, her expression soulful, “Do you really think you can help?”

“I don't know what I can do yet, but I'll do my best.” My heart strings tugged at me, but I'm running a business, not a charity, “Now about payment. I take a five hundred dollar retainer and charge a hundred a day plus expenses.”

She nodded, reaching back into the clutch and pulling out a checkbook and pen. She scribbled some numbers and signed it then slid that across the desk to me too. When she finished she rose getting ready to leave and I rose with her reaching out to shake her hand. “I'll see you tonight then, it's been a pleasure Gail.”

She smiled as she shook my hand, “Likewise, Mr. Boyd. I hope you really can help.” Then she put her sunglasses back on and turned to leave. I didn't mind watching that.

With a sigh I sank back into my chair and picked up the check, glanced it over, and then placed it to the side. Reaching down I opened the bottom desk drawer and pulled out a glass and that bottle of Carrow's Cellar.

Scene Break

The weather turned bad as night came in, a nor'easter from the ocean. I hate getting bad omens like that, monstrous, huge destructive things.

I was running late, the rain kept coming down like a solid wall of water and no matter how high I cranked the setting on the windshield wipers I couldn't see very well through it and the darkness. I hit a deceptively deep puddle and skidded into a hydroplane, jerked the wheel to the right, ran up onto the curb and then was slammed into the edge of my steering wheel when my car suddenly stopped. Then the young tree I'd hit decided to take its vengeance and fell on my car. At least it failed to break the windshield. Storms, damn it.

I turned off the car and the bubble light in the ceiling came on, barely bright enough to read my map by. I had the address from Gail's business card circled. When I looked out the window I couldn't see well enough through the sheet of water running down it to determine an address on any of the buildings. Folding the map back up I grabbed my battered fedora from the back seat and slammed it on my head, turned up the collar on the trench coat, grabbed my backpack, and then launched myself free of the car at the nearest house. Slower progress than I liked with my leg and my cane.

Immediately I became completely soaked. I barely took the time to check the damage at the front of my car as I hurried along. The tree lodged far enough into the fender that it looked like it snapping could be the only reason it didn't become a permanent hood ornament.

Then, the door, I hit the buzzer with the kind of frenzied energy that only being outside in a downpour and desperately wanting to be indoors can give you. A few seconds later, too long for my liking, the door opened. My guess had been on the money at least, Gail opened the door wide and stepped aside to let me in so I could drip all over her immaculate hardwood floor.

“Sorry I'm late. Weather.” The look on her face said she understood. I could believe she possessed the patience of an angel.

She smiled, this close, without a desk in the way I could see how tired she looked. No makeup covering the marks of sleeplessness from being haunted nightly. “It's fine. Can I take your things?”

I shrugged out of the coat and hat and handed them over to her to hang somewhere, over a bathtub maybe. The backpack and cane I kept a hold of. While she went off with my things I rummaged around in the pack, pulling out a white candle and some matches as well as a bag of salt.

When she came back I had set the candle on the coffee table in her living room and lit it, keeping the bag of salt nearby. I doubted I actually needed it.

Gail slid onto the couch next to me and I caught a whiff of vanilla, then she asked, “What's that for?”

Before I could become too distracted I got up and went to the light switch to flick it off. “The candle is a channel, your sister's ghost will be near enough to talk to if the flame changes.” It did a good job of mood setting too. It's amazing how much interaction with the supernatural relies on attitude.

We waited, my leg aching slightly in time with the rumbles of thunder outside. I was about ready to drift off when I heard Gail take in a sharp breath. I looked, and in the stillness the candle flame stuttered and then shrank to a pinprick of blue. A moment later the candle snuffed and we were left in nearly perfect blackness except for dim streetlight coming through one of the windows. She arrived in the room.

The smoke from the blown out candle curled into the air, expanding and coiling, taking form. Jessica's ghost looked exactly like her sister. I even looked back and forth between them to check. Gail hadn't mentioned that they were twins.

A sense of depression radiated from her, it was numbing, lethargic. I could imagine slowing down, until everything just stopped. Jessica looked at her sister and then me, but otherwise she didn't move or speak. That left it up to me, “Hello Jessica. I can see you aren't happy like this, can something be done to help make you whole again, to move on?”

She didn't respond, at least not with words. Instead she reached out a hand to me. A wave of cold set me shivering as she touched my forehead and the sensation of deep abiding despair and numbness was redoubled. I failed to be at all prepared for the vision. Three faces popped into existence in my head, the image grainy and jerking up and down like old test film. Despite the lack of clarity, I could still make out enough detail that I would recognize them on the street if I saw them, an old man and woman, and then a young man.

Gail apparently got a dose of the same view, because I felt her convulse next to me, one of her legs snapping out and flipping the coffee table spent candle and all. Just like that, the vision ceased, Jessica disappeared and the spell broke.

I felt calm helping Gail straighten the table and clean up the shattered glass. I now contained inside my head a clue. Gail on the other hand seemed flustered. When we finished cleaning up the mess I asked her, “Did you recognize any of those people?” Her complexion was still pale, but she managed to pull herself together enough to shake her head. Dead end there I supposed.

After she got my coat and politely helped me put it on she finally managed to stammer, “I do hope you can help her Mr. Boyd. I can't think what she meant showing us something like that. She's never done anything like that before.”

Putting my hand on hers I gave it a light squeeze, “I'll do my best. Take care Gail, I'll be in touch.”

Then I headed out into the storm.

DICE
Spoiler: show
In the first scene, volunteering to fail Wits+Subterfuge check for a Beat.
Dex 1 +Drive 1 -1 Weather
Mrmdubois rolled 1d10:

Res 2 + Emp 1 For Vision Clarity
Mrmdubois rolled 3d10:
2, 9, 2

Res 2 + Com 3 Handling the Weirdness of Telepathic Ghost
Mrmdubois rolled 5d10:
8, 10, 10, 10, 10
Mrmdubois rolled 4d10:
4, 5, 7, 3

Opting to fail a Wits+Subt check for a Beat
Man 2 -Persuasion Untrained 1, Convincing Gremlin to help
Mrmdubois rolled 1d10:

Gnosis 1 +Fate 2 +Chant 2 paying a mana Oathing to Gremlin, pay 1 WP to relinquish
Mrmdubois rolled 5d10:
2, 7, 5, 8, 8

Int 3 +Inv 3 +1 Equipment Bonus for Photo TN 5 1roll/day
Mrmdubois rolled 7d10:
5, 7, 1, 10, 10, 6, 1
Mrmdubois rolled 2d10:
2, 9

2nd day, same dice
Mrmdubois rolled 7d10:
5, 2, 10, 8, 8, 7, 4

Int 3 +Streetwise 1 +Status: Streets 2 TN 5 1roll/hour
Mrmdubois rolled 6d10:
5, 5, 7, 9, 3, 4

2nd hour, same dice
Mrmdubois rolled 6d10:
5, 9, 6, 10, 6, 9
Mrmdubois rolled 1d10:

3rd hour, same dice
Mrmdubois rolled 6d10:
10, 5, 3, 4, 6, 1

Wits 3 +Com 3 Notice the dude coming
Mrmdubois rolled 6d10:
1, 7, 10, 6, 1, 7
Mrmdubois rolled 1d10:
vs. Dex 2 +Psychic Stealth 4
Mrmdubois rolled 6d10:
9, 8, 8, 10, 6, 6
Mrmdubois rolled 1d10:
Last edited by Mrmdubois on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mrmdubois

Re: [Wild Talents] 0-0: Guest in the House

Postby Mrmdubois » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:15 pm

DICE
Wits 3 +Occult 2 Reading the Omen
Mrmdubois rolled 5d10:
1, 6, 9, 1, 7
Mrmdubois rolled 1d10:
Taking the Obsession Condition: Getting justice for the girl
Gnosis 1 +Mind 3 +Chant 2 Mind Control Dog
Mrmdubois rolled 6d10:
3, 8, 9, 3, 4, 3
vs. Dog's Resolve 2
Mrmdubois rolled 2d10:
8, 5

Gnosis 1 +Mind 3 +Chant 2 Mind Shield on Dog, spending a Mana
Mrmdubois rolled 6d10:
9, 7, 7, 5, 2, 8

Initiative Bad guy then Good guy
Dex 2 + Firearms 3 +2L Gun Armor Piercing Rounds no range or cover penalties
Mrmdubois rolled 5d10:
5, 1, 2, 1, 5

Breaking Point: Getting shot at Res 2 +Com 3
Mrmdubois rolled 5d10:
6, 5, 5, 1, 8

Bad guy shoots again, same dice
Mrmdubois rolled 5d10:
4, 10, 6, 7, 6
Mrmdubois rolled 1d10:

Dog attack! Str 3+ Brawl 3 +2L, going for a grapple for Bad guy who gets no defense for being terrified.
Mrmdubois rolled 6d10:
4, 7, 1, 8, 7, 4

Dog wins grapple, Bad guy has a chance die, dog wins...period.
Photos, who? Int 3 +Inv 3 +EB 2, names on the back, TN 15, 2 rolls/day
Mrmdubois rolled 8d10:
6, 4, 2, 2, 1, 1, 10, 2
Mrmdubois rolled 1d10:

2nd roll for the day, same dice
Mrmdubois rolled 8d10:
9, 3, 7, 8, 4, 8, 3, 5

Day 2, first roll, same dice
Mrmdubois rolled 8d10:
4, 5, 3, 3, 6, 8, 9, 3

Day 2, roll 2, same dice
Mrmdubois rolled 8d10:
7, 6, 10, 4, 4, 1, 7, 3
Mrmdubois rolled 1d10:

Day 3, first roll, same dice
Mrmdubois rolled 8d10:
7, 3, 6, 1, 10, 8, 7, 6
Mrmdubois rolled 1d10:

Day 3, roll 2, same dice
Mrmdubois rolled 8d10:
5, 8, 8, 1, 3, 2, 6, 3

Day 4, roll 1, same dice
Mrmdubois rolled 8d10:
10, 1, 3, 10, 4, 7, 8, 1
Mrmdubois

Re: [Wild Talents] 0-0: Guest in the House

Postby Mrmdubois » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:51 pm

DICE
Exploders from previous post 2 dice
Mrmdubois rolled 2d10:
10, 10
Explode the exploders
Mrmdubois rolled 2d10:
6, 8

Wits 3 +Stealth 2
Mrmdubois rolled 5d10:
4, 8, 8, 8, 4
vs. Wits 2 +Com 2 -1 Driving
Mrmdubois rolled 3d10:
1, 1, 9

Mind reading! Gnosis 1 +Mind 3 +WP 3
Mrmdubois rolled 7d10:
7, 2, 2, 2, 6, 9, 8
vs. Res 2
Mrmdubois rolled 2d10:
2, 8

Keep him under Gnosis 1 +Mind 3 +Chant 2
Mrmdubois rolled 6d10:
3, 4, 5, 3, 2, 4

Same thing, same dice, keep him under
Mrmdubois rolled 6d10:
4, 4, 3, 9, 3, 10
Mrmdubois rolled 1d10:

She fires, Robbie reflexively drops prone, her shooting Dex 2 +Firearms 2 -Cover 3 -1 Darkness +2 L +3 Long burst
Mrmdubois rolled 3d10:
10, 4, 4
Mrmdubois rolled 1d10:

Condition Trigger Exorcism Gnosis 1 +Mind 3 +Chant 2 TN 5
Mrmdubois rolled 6d10:
9, 1, 4, 2, 10, 10
Mrmdubois rolled 2d10:
6, 1

3 Hours later, still same dice
Mrmdubois rolled 6d10:
5, 8, 8, 8, 9, 10
Mrmdubois rolled 1d10: